Friday 17 June 2011

How it all started!

My days of being in 12th grade were fading away and as expected my sister asked me "the" question, that had to be answered before my final exams, which was "what do you want to do after this?". And obviously I answered to her much awaited question in a second, "fashion designing". I got the "you sure?" expression from her and me being 'me' just shrugged it off. Little did I know that that shrug would cost me a year! So, my exams  finish and I was at home downloading application forms for colleges and my sister did some extra research, because I'm too lazy and laid-back, my imagination got wild. How? well, lets just say I became "Alice in wonderland" after that day. Thinking about how I would pass the entrance for NIFT/NID/others and complete my years of acquiring fascinating knowledge of fashion while my friends were forced to study engineering. I thought about how I would become a designer and earn a bomb. But not even for 1 second did I think that, what if I don't clear the entrances?

It is said, "you don't always get what you want". Well that's true for sure because I did not clear the examinations in the top colleges and I was devastated. It was then that I regretted not listening to my sister when she had said to keep my options open and have an alternative. Then, my sister suggested that I move to Mumbai since the fashion industry there is much more vast. I did as she suggested and moved to Mumbai in 4 days!..yes, it was really quick. Anyway, when I got to Mumbai with my mum, I found INIFD which was apparently my last option. And I joined as soon as possible. Soon, I moved into the hostel provided by the college and lot of tears flew out when mum left me and I missed her terribly just as she sat in the rickshaw and took off. The thought of staying alone in a new city was exactly what I always wanted but it now terrified me.

But I came here to make my future, is what I had thought at that point. Who knew it would turn out to be the most horrific time of my life! Not the city nor the people but the college was what broke me into pieces. I was disappointed in myself and hoped that only if  I had thought this through by keeping my pride aside, that I would've had a better life....
(continued)

No comments: